Commercial leasing lawyers Melbourne and Ballarat

Whether you’re leasing commercial offices, setting up a warehouse or are a landlord who is entering a tenancy agreement, you will need a commercial lease agreement. Things don’t always go to plan, so it’s often worth getting a lawyer to explain what the terms of the agreement mean and help you negotiate your commercial lease agreement.

Our experienced commercial leasing lawyers can help you prepare or review your documents so you can move forward with your commercial project with confidence.

Commercial leases

A commercial lease is for a property that will be used for business, but doesn’t include retail premises. This is because there are different laws that apply to retail leases. For example, there are certain things that a landlord can ask the tenant to pay for in a commercial lease agreement that they can’t in a retail lease agreement, like land tax and management fees. If you’re not sure whether your lease should be commercial or retail, our experienced lawyers can help you determine the best approach.

Commercial lease agreement 

A commercial lease agreement sets out what the obligations of the landlord and tenant are. They should consider a range of issues, like when the rent will be paid, what fixtures can be used in the building, who is responsible for maintenance and repairs and what happens if one of you wants to end the lease early. How these obligations are worded in the contract can potentially save you significant costs down the track or help you avoid a legal dispute.

Why MNG Lawyers

Our commercial leasing lawyers understand what the fine print in your lease agreement means and can explain it to you in plain English. They can even help you negotiate the terms and draw up the paperwork for you, so you can focus on your business.

Frequently Asked Questions

If you have a retail or commercial lease issue, you may be able to make an application to VCAT to assist you. For example, VCAT can hear commercial lease disputes about:

  • Injunction applications, if you’re a landlord who wants to access your property or a tenant who wants to prevent your landlord from taking possession of the property;
  • Recovering rent or outgoings that haven’t been paid;
  • Reviewing rent;
  • Damages to a leased property; and
  • Forfeiting a lease.

There are specific legal documents that you may need to provide when making an application to VCAT or appearing before them. Our lawyers can help you make sure you have all the paperwork you need and represent you.

Get in touch today, always in confidence.

We’re here to help. It’s our top priority to ensure your needs and concerns are met every step of the way.
Scroll to Top