Liquor licensing lawyers Melbourne and Ballarat

Whether you run a restaurant, bar or a retail store in Victoria, you need to have a liquor licence if you want to sell alcohol. A liquor licence is also required if you want to serve alcohol at a once-off event like a presentation night or theatre production. There are many rules about who is eligible to apply for a liquor licence and what you need to do to continue to hold your licence.

Our experienced liquor licensing lawyers can help guide you to the best outcome so you can move forward with your commercial project with confidence.

Types of liquor licenses

Applications for liquor licenses are made through the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (VCGLR). There are several types of liquor licenses that you can apply for including:

  • On-Premises liquor licence, where you want to serve and have customers consume alcohol at your venue;
  • Restaurant and cafe liquor licence, where your customers will be eating food with their alcohol;
  • Packaged liquor licence, which is required if you want to sell packaged alcohol in your store. Under this licence, the alcohol can’t be consumed by your customers on your property, and there are specific requirements regarding when you can have tastings and the area where you sell alcohol; and
  • A temporary liquor licence can be applied for if you want to serve alcohol at an event like a conference, theatre production or awards night.

Planning for a liquor licence

Depending on the type of liquor licence you’re applying for, you may need to provide information about the area where you’re planning on selling alcohol. This may include a planning permit with your local council and a plan of your premises. These documents will become part of your liquor licensing application and must include some very specific information including:

  • The address and surrounding area;
  • The defined boundary of the property;
  • Floor plans showing where you’re planning on serving and consuming alcohol; and
  • Other fixtures and fittings like the bar, kitchen and shelving areas.

You may also be required to complete an accredited training course before your liquor licence is granted.

Changing a liquor licence

Things do change, so you may find that you need to make changes to your liquor licence. These may include variations to your opening hours or the space where you serve and consume alcohol. If you sell your business you may also want to try and transfer the liquor licence to someone else.

There are different laws and requirements for each situation, our liquor licensing lawyers can help you determine what you need to do.

Why MNG Lawyers

Our experienced liquor licensing lawyers understand what you need to be eligible for a liquor licence and can help you plan for and put together your application. They can also give you advice and represent you if there’s a dispute about your liquor licence to minimise the impact on your business.

Frequently Asked Questions

It can take up to four months, or even more in some circumstances, from the date of application to receiving your liquor licence. If a planning permit is required prior to your liquor licence application this will also significantly extend your timeframes.

Get in touch today, always in confidence.

We’re here to help. It’s our top priority to ensure your needs and concerns are met every step of the way.
Scroll to Top