Retail leasing lawyers Melbourne and Ballarat

Whether you’re a retail tenant or a landlord, you’ll need a retail lease agreement to document your obligations and rights. There are some very specific laws that relate to retail lease agreements, so it’s worth getting guidance from an experienced leasing lawyer to make sure you understand what you can and can’t do.

Our experienced retail leasing lawyers can help you prepare or review your documents so you can move forward with your business with confidence.

Retail leases

Retail leases are for property that is used mainly for selling or hiring retail goods or providing services to the general public. This doesn’t include property that is used mainly for storage, manufacturing or wholesaling. In Victoria, there are specific laws that outline what landlords and tenants can and cannot include in a retail lease agreement. These laws apply if the occupancy costs are less than $1 million and the retail lease is for longer than 12 months.

Retail lease agreement

There are many different factors that can impact what type of business structure best suits your needs and objectives. Some things to consider include:

A retail lease agreement should outline the rights and obligations of both the landlord and tenant. This may include:

  • How long the lease will go for;
  • How much rent will be paid and when;
  • When or if the rent can be increased;
  • Whether a deposit or bond is required;
  • How you can renew the lease;
  • What the tenant can and can’t do on the property;
  • Who is responsible for building works and repairs.

Some of these rights and obligations have more detailed requirements under the law. For example, a tenant is entitled to a five-year retail lease agreement. The landlord must also give the tenant a disclosure statement before the lease begins. There are specific legal requirements about what this document must include.

Our experienced lawyers can guide you on your options and prepare your retail lease agreement and disclosure documents.

Why MNG Lawyers

Our retail leasing lawyers understand what the fine print in your retail lease agreement means and can explain it to you in plain English. They can even help you negotiate your agreement and prepare the paperwork for you.

Frequently Asked Questions

The Victorian Small Business Commission (VSBC) has the power to investigate and mediate rental lease disputes that involve small businesses. Any person involved can ask the VSBC to mediate their retail tenancy dispute.

Only after the retail lease dispute has been referred to the VSBC can it go to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) to be heard. VCAT has the power to make orders about a retail lease including making one party pay compensation or requiring them to give someone possession of the property.

There are some specific costs that a landlord cannot pass onto the tenant in a retail lease agreement, including the cost of preparing the retail lease agreement, any land tax paid on the property, capital works and repairs and maintenance. Our lawyers can give you advice about what costs you can and can’t include in your retail lease agreement.

Get in touch today, always in confidence.

We’re here to help. It’s our top priority to ensure your needs and concerns are met every step of the way.
Scroll to Top