Criminal lawyers Melbourne & Ballarat

There’s a lot at risk if you’re charged with a traffic offence. You could lose your licence or receive a hefty fine. Whether you were driving a car, truck or motorcycle, our traffic law experts can give you advice on how to deal with the charges and minimise the disruption to your life.

Our criminal lawyers will help you get a fair hearing and resolve your issue quickly so you can get on with your life.

Types of traffic offences

There are many types of traffic offences in Victoria and some are more serious than others. Some of the most common offences are:

  • Driving over the speed limit;
  • Careless, dangerous or hoon driving;
  • Culpable driving;
  • Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs;
  • Driving without a licence;
  • Driving an unregistered vehicle;
  • Driving while using a mobile phone;
  • Driving without your ‘L’ or ‘P’ plates;
  • Not wearing a seatbelt;
  • Leaving the scene of a car accident;
  • Damaging someone’s property as a result of an accident; and
  • Hurting someone as a result of an accident.

Going to court

For some traffic offences you may just receive a fine, like a speeding ticket. But if you’re charged with an offence you will need to go to court. If you go to court you will need to plead guilty or not guilty.

Regardless of whether you plead guilty or not, you will have an opportunity to put forward your case. This may include explaining to the Magistrate what happened and the circumstances that led to you being charged.

If you’re found guilty, you may also have the opportunity to explain to the Magistrate why you shouldn’t lose your licence or why any financial penalty should be lower. Our lawyers can help you explain these reasons to the Magistrate for you.

Why MNG Lawyers

Our lawyers have over 20 years experience helping people just like you. Being charged with a traffic offence can be an emotional and stressful experience, so we take the time to listen to you, explain what your rights are in plain English and outline your options. We can represent you in court and help you get a fair hearing.

Frequently Asked Questions

If you’re charged with a traffic offence, the police may give you a fine on the spot if it’s not a serious offence, like a speeding fine. But if you have to go to court then the Magistrate will decide what penalties you will receive. These may include:

  • Losing your licence;
  • Having your licence suspended;
  • Being fined;
  • Losing demerit points;
  • Having your vehicle impounded; or
  • Going to jail.

Some of these penalties may remain on your criminal record.

No. Insurance will not cover a traffic fine. But if you have car insurance you will need to let your insurer know if there’s an accident.

Depending on the type of insurance you have, you may be able to make a claim for damage to your vehicle or any other vehicle involved in the accident. But your insurance policy may not pay for the damage if you’ve broken the law.

If you do lose your licence, you will need to let your insurer know and it may affect the premiums you pay.

Get in touch today, always in confidence.

We’re here to help. It’s our top priority to ensure your needs and concerns are met every step of the way.
Scroll to Top