Binding financial agreement Lawyers in Melbourne & Ballarat

Separation and divorce can be challenging both emotionally and financially. A binding financial agreement can spare you a lot of pain, and likely save you money. It gives both you and your partner peace of mind about how your assets and finances will be divided now your relationship is coming to an end. For advice, talk to MNG Lawyers in Melbourne & Ballarat today.

Our experienced business advice lawyers can help you choose the best structure for your business both now and in the future.

Binding financial agreements explained

A binding financial agreement is a legally binding document that sets out how you will divide your property, superannuation, money and debts at the end of your relationship. Even if your separation is amicable, a binding financial agreement helps you protect your assets and ensures that you receive what was agreed to. It can also help you protect your children and business interests.

Requirements for a binding financial agreement

  • For your binding financial agreement to be legally binding, which means that you and your partner must honour it, there are several things that you must have done. You and your partner must have:
  • Agreed to the terms and signed the agreement;
  • Received independent legal and financial advice before signing so you understand your rights and the pros and cons of the agreement; and
  • Received a statement from your lawyer confirming that they gave you advice and gave a copy of this to your partner.

Why do I need a lawyer?

A financial agreement will not be binding unless you and your partner have received independent legal advice. This ensures that you both understand what the agreement means and how it will impact you in the future.

It can be tricky to have open conversations about money when emotions are involved. A family lawyer can help you negotiate an arrangement and draft the agreement so the process is as quick and painless as possible.

Why MNG Lawyers

Our divorce lawyers will listen to your concerns, explain your options and help you protect your interests now that your relationship is coming to an end. With over 20 years experience, we know every relationship is different and will take care to ensure your individual needs are addressed.

Frequently Asked Questions

As you have both agreed on how your assets will be divided, you will not need to go to court to finalise your financial arrangements. But you may still need to go to court if you have children together and need to determine their custody arrangements.

If you are in a de facto relationship or marriage and live in Australia, you can have a financial agreement.

A marriage is registered in your state or territory. While a de facto relationship means you have a “genuine domestic relationship” and:

  • Have been living together for at least two years; or
  • Have a child together; or
  • It would be unjust to not recognise your partner’s financial or non-financial contributions.

A financial agreement can be made during your relationship or after you have separated. If you have already ended your relationship, you must make a financial agreement within 12 months of being divorced or within two years of ending your de facto relationship.

A financial agreement can cover:

  • How you will separate your finances, including superannuation;
  • How you will separate your property; and
  • What financial support (like maintenance) will be paid.

A financial agreement does not cover your children or any arrangements for them.

Yes, a court may refuse to uphold your agreement for several reasons including:

  • If one or both of you were not honest about all the assets and liabilities that you had at the time the agreement was made;
  • The agreement was signed under duress or threat;
  • If one of you made the agreement to avoid paying someone else, like a creditor or an ex-partner;
  • It’s no longer practical for any part of the agreement to be carried out;
  • If, since the agreement was made, your circumstances have changed regarding the care, welfare and development of one of your children and it may cause one of you to suffer hardship; or
  • A superannuation asset in the agreement is not able to be divided.

If the court doesn’t hold up the agreement, then either of you can ask them to determine how your assets should be divided.

If you don’t have a binding financial agreement you may need to go to court and ask them for a family law consent order to determine how your assets should be divided.

Enquire now

Maecenas sit amet porta dui. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Sed ac malesuada arcu. Sed ac eros id sem iaculis viverra et at ligula. Quisque placerat semper mi, non lacinia nisi. In eu porttitor eros. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus.

Aenean eu nulla arcu. Nunc pellentesque elit eu dapibus accumsan. Donec dapibus consectetur ex eu aliquet. Nam congue leo sit amet arcu consequat, sit amet interdum sapien posuere. Nam consectetur sagittis nulla, nec fringilla odio sagittis non. 

Scroll to Top