Property dispute lawyers Melbourne and Ballarat

Your home or business property is one of your biggest investments, so there’s a lot at stake when it’s threatened. Property and real estate law is complex and often requires knowledge of local council laws and regulations. Having a lawyer who knows the local laws and regulations may help you resolve your issue quickly.

Our property dispute lawyers are located in Melbourne and Ballarat and can explain the laws that are relevant to you and help you understand your options so you can resolve the issue quickly.

Property disputes

Property disputes can include a wide range of issues from a disagreement over poor workmanship in a property you’ve purchased, to a conflict with tenants about damage to your shared commercial property space, or even a notice from your local council telling you that your property is subject to compulsory acquisition. These issues can all cause friction and put the ownership of your property at risk.

Resolving a property dispute

Depending on what your property dispute is about there are several legal ways you may be able to resolve it. Sometimes you have to act quickly to stop a property transaction from going ahead or prevent someone from changing a part of your property. In a situation like this, you may be able to apply to the court or the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for a caveat or injunction. In other property disputes, you may need to remove a caveat or mortgage from a property or speak to your local council about a subdivision or town planning project. Our experienced lawyers can help you identify what documents you need and make the application on your behalf.

Why MNG Lawyers

Our property dispute lawyers live in Melbourne and Ballarat, so they know the local council laws and help you understand your options. They can help you negotiate or prepare your application to VCAT or court so that you resolve your issue quickly.

Frequently Asked Questions

An injunction is a legal order that may be issued by a court or VCAT. It’s often used to either prevent someone from doing something that may be threatening another’s legal rights, like demolishing a property. It can also force someone to do something, like put back an item they’ve removed from a property.

An injunction may be permanent or temporary. They are often temporary to give people time to consider or proceed with further legal action.

Compulsory acquisition is when a government authority or local council acquires property to be used for public projects or other planning activities like new roads. Often the government authority must provide fair compensation for the property and they may also pay an additional amount for disadvantages suffered as a result of the acquisition, like if it reduces the business traffic to your retail store.

Sharing a building and common space with others can be cost-effective, but it can also result in conflict. While it’s often easy to resolve minor disagreements, disputes over how common property is used and the quality of building materials or repairs can escalate quickly. Poor workmanship can cause irreversible damage to your property and be expensive to resolve.

Depending on what the issue is, you may be able to bring a claim against your body corporate or strata community, or it may be more appropriate for your owners’ corporation to bring a claim on behalf of all owners against a builder or architect.

Get in touch today, always in confidence.

We’re here to help. It’s our top priority to ensure your needs and concerns are met every step of the way.
Scroll to Top