Administration & guardianship (VCAT) lawyers Melbourne & Ballarat

No one plans on falling ill or being injured, but it can happen in a blink of an eye. If you’re not able to make decisions for yourself, you may need a VCAT administrator or VCAT guardianship to be put in place for you. Our lawyers are based in Melbourne and Ballarat and can help you make sure your wishes are carried out when you’re not able to.

What is VCAT?

The Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (known as VCAT) deals with some legal issues in Victoria. This includes where someone needs a VCAT guardianship order or a VCAT administration order or there is a VCAT dispute.

While you don’t have to be represented by a lawyer when going to VCAT, there are specific processes that need to be followed that can be confusing to understand. Our experienced VCAT lawyers can explain the processes and represent you in front of VCAT.

VCAT guardianship

If an adult is unable to make reasonable decisions for themselves they may need a VCAT guardianship order. Perhaps they have a disability, injury or illness that affects their ability to exercise good judgement about their lifestyle.

A VCAT guardianship order is where someone is appointed to make decisions for the adult about their lifestyle. This may include decisions about where they live, what they eat, medical treatments they receive and what they do day to day.

This is often required if there is no power of attorney in place. A person who is concerned for the adult’s welfare can make a guardianship application in Victoria for VCAT to review. While you don’t need a lawyer to ask for a VCAT guardianship decision, our lawyers can help you understand the complex process and prepare the necessary paperwork.

VCAT administration orders

If an adult is not able to make decisions for themselves because of age, disability, injury or illness, you may be able to make an application for a VCAT administration order. VCAT administration orders appoint an administrator to make financial and legal decisions on behalf of the adult.

A VCAT appointed administrator can make immediate decisions about someone’s finances or property and make sure that their best interests are looked after. A VCAT administrator can do a range of things to help the adult including managing their assets, paying their bills, investing their money, running their business and signing contracts on their behalf.

A VCAT appointed administrator can be a family member, friend or even a lawyer or accountant.

Plan for the future with MNG Lawyers

Putting in place plans for the future can be difficult especially if you’re currently healthy. There are many things that need to be considered, but it’s a good idea to make sure you put what you want down on paper so if you fall ill or are injured and not able to make decisions for yourself, others can carry out your wishes.

Our experienced VCAT lawyers in Melbourne and Ballarat can help you if you need to make an VCAT guardianship application or have a VCAT appointed administrator to look after your assets. We can represent you in front of the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal, prepare all the paperwork and take the stress out of the process for you.

Get in touch today, always in confidence.

We’re here to help. It’s our top priority to ensure your needs and concerns are met every step of the way.
Scroll to Top